Sunday, July 10, 2011

My New Project: Candids of My Friends

There are two things that my wife and I enjoy doing when we get a chance to visit the mall: visit a supermarket and browsing through the bookstore. A particular section that I always visit are the books on photography.

I am a walking oxymoron. No, I'm no moron although there might be many who agree that I am. I love beautiful stuff yet I have no sense of creativity whatsoever. Photography is just one of the many areas that I love but I'm hopelessly inept in creating something that is beautiful. I know that I will never be able to create works of art, stuff that people will go "OOH! Look at that photograph! How did he do it?".

Photographing humans is something that I avoid as much as I could although I do enjoy taking candid pictures of human emotions, hoping to let the emotions tell the story. I simply cannot do a portrait at all, where you would have to compose the picture, and that is something that I do not know how to do. While browsing through Annie Leibovitz's book of portraits, I was so inspired by the awesome photos by the former chief photographer of Rolling Stones magazine.

I have been blessed to have met many people in my life, some who have impacted upon me more than others, and in good ways and bad. In the same way that I want to document the events of my life, I want to photograph candids of my dear friends. My dream is that through photographs, I am able to capture spontaneous moments of them, moments that define them. Here's the first one, of our dear friend, Antia. This picture was taken when we sent her off at the airport after her month long stay in Singapore. While it isn't a candid, I like this picture because it typifies her: fun loving and spontaneous, and happy. She's a dear friend of ours who's been with us through some significant moments of our lives. And look carefully in this picture and you might be able to spot a "mystery face" somewhere!

If you're interested in following this series, I'll be posting them in a Blogger friendly format on this blog. Look out for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment